The Runner's Baton


“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race,
I have kept the faith.” II Tim. 4:7

I’ve been entrusted with the Truth,
A rare and precious gift,
And it’s my job to pass it on
As I run life’s race so swift.

So many through the years I’ve known
Have loved and lived for Him
And it’s my turn, as they have shone,
To never let His light grow dim.

To stay the course consistently,
To focus on the prize,
To never stop, to faithful be
Before all watching eyes. 

My children see me every day;
They must see Christ in me,
If they’re likewise to Him obey
When the baton transfers again shortly.

There’s more to life than temporal things
And pleasures we enjoy.
We run for Jesus, King of Kings;
His will is our employ.

So run today I must, I will,
With all that in me is!
His strength will keep me running still
 Through all my life, the glory His.