The Storm


Nahum 1:7 – “The LORD is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; and He knoweth them that trust in Him.”

The sea was smooth when I set sail,
And everything was going well.
My little craft had been well-made;
Plans for my trip with care been laid.

But in the distance then I saw
Dark storm clouds forming monstrous jaw
That soon would swallow all in sight.
Escape impossible, my faith fought fright.

Why here? Why now? Why ever at all?
Unanswered questions loomed so tall.
All I could do was bail water and pray
To make it through to another day.

But then my Savior spoke His peace;
Into my heart came sweet release,
For He Who stilled storms long ago
Will never leave me to my foe.

Whether or not the storm disappears
Changes not the fact that He is near.
He’ll take me through to the other side,
And all I need, in His way, provide.

Then trust your Lord, my soul, today;
Lean hard on Jesus, come what may.
You’ve known Him true in days now past,
This Anchor in Whom your faith is cast.

Though waves my soul would overwhelm,
My God stands always at the helm.
Though fierce may blow the stormy gale,
He is yet good; His grace prevails.
 
 
 
 
* written for Dad and Mom Hall
(begun mentally when Reba Hall neared the end of her life,
written down when Papa found out he had cancer)