My Words

"She openeth her mouth with wisdom,
and in her tongue is the law of kindness." Proverbs 31:26
(see also Ps. 141:3, Prov. 18:21, Col. 4:6, Jms. 3:2-10)
 
So much in Scripture addresses the tongue,
But to master it, Father, I've only begun.
With wisdom and kindness fill my mouth this day,
That love's gentle balm might fill all I say.

Keep selfish concerns far away from my tone
As I seek to mirror Your great love alone.
Make each thought and word Your messenger, Lord,
That to others I'll channel Your blessing outpoured.

My children are like tiny delicate flowers,
And blessing and cursing are in my tongue's power.
Raindrops, not torrents, are what they need most,
So help me reach out, with kind words draw them close.

And to my dear husband make me a refreshing:
Instead of draining him, be edifying,
Instead of life's negatives, speaking the positive,
Instead of my own plans, allow him his life to live.

And if I stumble and fall off the track,
Prick my heart quickly, and bring me right back.
Guard the door of my lips, Lord, as faithful sentry,
Only letting words through of gracious reality.

These are big requests, and I've often failed,
But I ask for today that Your power prevail.
So I enter the day with glad confidence:
A Spirit-filled mouth will make all the difference.