Thank You

 

    When I got my first driver’s license, I marked that I wanted to be an organ donor should the uninvited opportunity to do so occur. It was a matter-of-fact decision: of course I would want to make a difference for someone one last tangible way, to give what I could as an expression of the second greatest commandment.

    Since last Thursday evening, I have come to view organ donation from a new perspective. The Children’s Hospital of Atlanta flew this flag last Friday – Sunday in honor of my nephew, who received a liver transplant.  I now have experienced the emotions that come from being a family member of someone who was given a chance to live because of the gift someone he will never meet in this life gave. It is such a bittersweet gift. Though we do not know who they are, we have earnestly prayed for the family who lost a loved one. As my brother wrote, “We will be forever grateful to the family who in the midst of tragedy chose to give life to others.”

    God never wastes anything. He doesn’t take someone out of this life just because another person needs a new organ of one kind or another. But one of the greatest things about our God is that He can bring beauty out of ashes, and hope from despair. Jesus sits beside us in our grief, and He will not be defeated.

    So, I’m writing these thoughts down to say two things. One, if you have never done so, please consider being an organ donor. Two, if you have a loved one who has been a donor, thank you. You may never know the difference made by that decision, but be absolutely assured that it made all the difference in the world for the receiver and his/her family.